سفارة بريطانيا بتونس تنتدب – أجر شهري 2.800 دينار : آخر أجل 07 مارس 2023
Residence Chef (AO)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Residence and Support Staff)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy Tunis has a vacancy for a Residence Chef, job grade Administrative Officer (AO), on a fixed term contract of one (1) year.
This is an important role in the Embassy and is central to the smooth running of key diplomatic events including dinners, lunches, and receptions for VIP guests. The position is full-time, with flexible hours of work around the Ambassador’s diary and key events.
The jobholder will design and deliver a high quality range of different menus at the Residence that provide a really enjoyable dining experience, whether dinner, lunch, breakfast, or receptions, either small or large scale; and have the guest wanting to return for more. The dining experience should be consonant with the UK’s high standing in Tunis and the importance of the building. This role requires strict maintenance of the highest level of hygiene, organisational skills, and ensuring that the residence kitchen is always prepared to cater to a varied audience.
Duties and responsibilities:
– Preparation of all food requirements in the British Ambassador’s Residence
- Oversee all kitchen operations, from menu preparation to ingredients to use by keeping track of how resources in the kitchen are utilised.
- Liaise with Residence Manager to produce food reflecting themes and objectives of events. Undertake menu planning in consultation with the Ambassador and Residence Manager and ensure menus are displayed showing choices. Ensure individuals with specific cultural and/or dietary needs are catered for and that choice is available.
- Improve menu and food quality by taking note of customer feedback. Recommend new recipes by experimenting with recipes and checking market trends whilst considering cultural and/or dietary needs of customers.
- Ensure that adequate stocks of food are maintained (fresh, frozen, and dried). Maintain an inventory of ingredients and equipment and set orders to restock.
- Prepare the kitchen by setting up the necessary cooking utensils and equipment.
- Maintain menu or work records for each event. Keep function records for audit and statistics purposes, outlining requirements and costs for all events in collaboration with the Residence Manager.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays. Ensure appealing plate presentation.
- Responsible for the supervision of any extra or assistant chefs working at the Residence.
- Submit a food cost projection to Residence Manager before the event, including estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Ensure that the food expenditure is kept within budget in consultation with the Ambassador’s spouse and Residence Manager.
- Meet with sales representatives in order to negotiate prices and order supplies.
- Check the quality and quantity of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met and notify suppliers and Residence Manager of any deficiencies.
– Safety and hygiene
- Responsible for health, hygiene, and sanitation practices in the residence kitchen, including educating staff when required, to ensure all health & safety requirements are met. Work safely and efficiently by following safety procedures.
- Ensure that the kitchen is always clean and food is stored safely, and that kitchen hygiene and safety measures are consistently followed.
- Ensure that all food served has been appropriately prepared by disinfecting preparation tools, separating the components, and ensuring that the meal is cooked to the appropriate temperature.
- Maintain a clean kitchen by cleaning all surfaces, including countertops, faucets, handles, refrigerator handles, stoves/ovens, and other appliances and equipment.
– Procurement/ food and supplies shopping
- Appropriate sourcing of fresh foods and beverages supplies from local markets for all meals served at the Residence.
- Source ingredients with attention to minimising waste, ensuring food service is to standard and on budget, and delivers value for money.
- Maintain food stocks and stock records and liaise with the Residence Manager, if necessary.
– Finance responsibility
- Reconcile expenditures accurately and on time.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of expenditure and consumption for every event for month-end accounting purposes.
– Staff management
- Supervise casual kitchen staff during events.
- Book casual staff, tracking and costing of food expenditures for events, and credit card reconciliation.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required.
Key behaviours required:
- Changing and Improving – Seek out opportunities to create effective change and suggest innovative ideas for improvement. Review ways of working, including seeking and providing feedback.
- Working Together – Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support.
- Managing a Quality Service – Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Delivering at Pace – Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
Applicants must already have the right to work and reside in Tunisia.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Relevant experience in the business hospitality area, i.e., hotel, private residence, restaurant, catering company, with similar role and responsibilities, ideally for at least five (5) years.
- Demonstrates commitment to excellence for the planning, preparation, and presentation of high quality food and innovative menus whilst delivering good value for money.
- Cooking skills to high standards with excellent attention to detail and quality, and have good understanding of food hygiene standards.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment. Able to work effectively and supportively with colleagues, both individually and in teams.
- Creative and flexible, easily adaptable to ever-changing requirements for menus/ guest counts and timing of service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to treat others with respect and courtesy regardless of work pressures. Acts with discretion at all times.
- Strong organisational skills and effective work and time management skills. Ability to work to deadlines and targets and manage a heavy workflow.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst delivering a high quality service. Resourcefulness in solving problems and demonstrates good judgement and a calm manner. Ability to respond quickly and flexibly to meet multiple and changing priorities.
- Aware of customer requirements and how to drive customer satisfaction. Adapts to change and reviews practices with other members of the team with a view to improve service.
- Fluency in English, French, and Arabic. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Holds an appropriate hospitality industry/ culinary/ commercial cookery qualification or degree.
- Background and track record in preparing modern British/ European food.
- Existing knowledge of British produce and producers and how to source these in Tunisia and identifying and using British trends and products.
- Understanding of wider event management requirements including resource management and budget management.
- Strong IT computer skills and in using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
7 March 2023
Administrative Officer (AO)
Type of Position
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Working hours per week
Middle East & North Africa
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
1 May 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Working hours and remuneration:
The British Embassy in Tunis offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial salary will be TND 2,316 per month while on probation. Salary after probation is TND 2,848. However, staff who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary (i.e., UKBS spouse/ partner) may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
This position is for a full-time employment on a fixed term basis for one (1) year (renewable). The successful candidate will be subject to a three-month probationary period that can be further extended up to six (6) months. The appointment is also be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Conditioned working hours are 42 hours gross per week. Work hours are flexible in line with events/ functions and will involve working on evenings and weekends. Additional hours worked will be compensated with time off in lieu.
In line with the Tunisian Government requirement for a ‘passe sanitaire’ to enter most public places, the Embassy also requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or an authorised exemption.
The jobholder will have opportunities to benefit from a range of Learning and Development (L&D) initiatives. There is great opportunity to learning and development ‘on the job’. We also have an active L&D Committee, which promotes different ways of learning and to which applications can be made for specific, funded learning activity. The jobholder will also be required to undertake a number of mandatory training courses as part of their role.
The International Academy (IA) is the home of L&D for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). It covers a wide range of essential as well as job-specific subjects; and is designed to ensure that all staff can access high quality learning products. The jobholder will also have access to the FCDO’s Diplomatic Academy. Our staff are given responsibility and autonomy (and support), allowing them to develop skills and confidence through delivery.
Interested candidates must include in their online application form 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV); 2) a covering letter/ motivation essay stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and 3) specific examples, in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (Tunis local time) on 07 March 2023.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The start date mentioned is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The British Embassy Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.