Full-time Career Advisor – Appendix D/Temporary Assignment (8 months)
Please Note: If you are a current Algonquin College employee, apply to this job via the Workday application.
Department:Student Talent Development (Thandiwe Ncube)
Position Type:Full-Time Support
Scheduled Weekly Hours:36.25
Anticipated Start Date:December 11, 2023
Length of Contract: 8 Months
Posting InformationThis job posting is now accepting applications from all qualified individuals.
Posting Closing Date:November 10, 2023
Please note: jobs are posted until 12:01 am on the job closing date.
***Please note that applicants must submit their application by the evening before the closing date mentioned above. The posting closes at 12:01am on the morning of the closing date***
Under the direction of the Manager, Student Talent Development, the incumbent develops and delivers a comprehensive suite of career development and employment advising services to students, graduates, and the college community to promote positive employment outcomes. The incumbent plans, develops and implements a range of career services that supports the retention and success of all learners, including those experiencing unique employment challenges and barriers.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with faculty, Co-operative Education, and a range of internal and external stakeholders to integrate career development and employment readiness into the student experience. The Career Advisor assists students and graduates in preparing for the world of work by guiding them through a variety of job and career readiness supports through one-on-one coaching and group sessions, in person and online. The incumbent develops content and delivers presentations, workshops, and orientation programming on employment topics.
The incumbent plans and facilitates various programming and represents Algonquin College’s Co-op and Career Centre on and off-campus at career fairs and events. The incumbent is responsible for making daily independent decisions to provide support to students and graduates and manages challenges as they arise. The incumbent discusses employment strategies and determines the best course of action to ensure services are tailored to the needs of each student and graduate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides specialized advice, coaching and 1-on-1 consultation for students / graduates in over 300+ programs across multiple campuses on matters related to career development and employment;
- Develops and delivers group information sessions (i.e., class presentations, workshops) and creates content for websites, employment related publications, and other outreach activities on topics related to career and employment;
- Monitors and supports web-based career and employment tools and resources, including the job searching / posting and appointment booking service and the Artificial Intelligence resume & interviewing tool to meet the needs of job seekers, faculty, and hiring employers;
- Serves as Public Relations Officer to the internal and external Algonquin community to showcase Algonquin College’s career and employment services.
- Three (3) year diploma / degree in Career Development, Counselling, Human Resources Management, Social Sciences, Business, Education, or related field;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in the field of employment services, career services, counselling, human resources, or related field, working directly with job seekers, preferably post-secondary students, in the field of career preparedness and employability skills development;
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain internal and external relationships resulting in new and growing employment opportunities for job seekers;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required to provide employment support to a diverse group of clients;
- Previous experience will reflect the incumbent’s analytical abilities and pro-active approach to problem-solving;
- Experience in a post-secondary environment considered an asset.
*Position is paid at Payband I
*Vacancy is for P20014
This position is eligible for hybrid work in conjunction with the College’s Flexible Work Arrangement Policy. https://www.algonquincollege.com/policies/hr26/ (subject to change).
Algonquin College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process please contact the Human Resources department at [email protected]. While we thank all those who apply, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Similar Jobs (1)
- Support Specialist – Appendix D/Temporary Assignment
- locationsOttawa Campustime typeFull timeposted on